Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Lady Gaga

I know this will win me some haters, but I just can't hop on the Gaga train.

I never liked her music to begin with. I hate most of the mechanical crap that so many people are embedding into their music, though I do have some exceptions like M.I.A. But largely, if I want to listen to computer noises, I would. I'd rather listen to a person's voice and a person playing an instrument.

But anyway, she played a show in Arizona and condemned the passing of SB1070, the bill that basically made racial profiling legal in order to get rid of illegal immigrants. This was her little rant:

"I’ll tell you what we have to do about SB1070. We have to be active, we have to actively protest, and the nature of the monster ball is to actively protest prejudice and injustice and the bullshit that is put on our society because you’re a superstar no matter who you are or where you come from, and you were born that way."

Cool, right?! A star using their visibility to do good. But here's where I have a problem:

I'm pretty sure the people that have hundreds to spend on going to your shows are already the superstars. Most Mexican immigrants don't come into this country with a few hundred extra dollars to spend on seeing Gaga. If she really practiced what she preached, her shows would be free. She has some cool ideas, but she lacks the follow-through.

As for all the crazy fashion crap, it's a gimmick. It's to get us to forget that she sounds like any other computerized pop person, except she wears weird clothes and talks likes she's on something.

I'm also not okay with her new song "Born this Way." These are the lyrics. For such a strong subject, she's using really repetitive, largely meaningless lyrics. If this meant so much to her, you would think she would try to have it pack a little more punch.

Here's a review of the song, one that I agree with.

I'd be much more inclined to listen to her if she stayed Stephanie Germanotta and didn't turn into Lady Gaga. I think she's a less talented rip off of Madonna. She was so much better before she went crazy:

2 comments:

  1. Kelsey, I want you to know there IS an antidote to Gaga-ism and it is called Dicey and Paprika, who perform in Pittsburgh (and will be at Club Cafe on May 21). They are progressive in an aesthetically retro way, sort of. See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um6q_j40Pl0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I dig it. I'm waiting to hear about an internship that would start in May, but I'll try to make it on the 21st :D

    ReplyDelete