Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Open Letter to Obama

Hey yinz, I've been really busy this past week with homework, helping with the Rally to Save the Budget for IUP, and two programs that Women's Studies Club is hosting this week: a Screening of the Coat Hanger Project and a performance by activist spoken-word poet ANDREA GIBSON!!! I'm excited.

I've tried to stay away from politics for the past couple days, just to keep on track with school and events, so this post is just going to be general....just an open letter I wrote to President Obama:


Dear President Obama,

I'm one of the many college students that you inspired with your promise of change, of government responsibility and transparency. I voted for you, and I remember celebrating as the results came in on election night with an impromptu rally at the center of campus, watching as flags were waived and many students cried because, finally, we had an African-American president.

I was there.

But I was also there, watching and reading the news during the gulf oil spill. I was there when the House of Representatives passed a bill that would put my reproductive choice at stake, taking away money from Planned Parenthood and other very necessary health care clinics. I was there, watching, when Speaker Boehner didn't clap at the repeal of DADT that you rightly mentioned during your State of the Union Address. I was there watching the union battles of Wisconsin. I was there when you promised us along the campaign trail that our soldiers would be out out of Iraq and Afghanistan very soon.

Mr. President, I want change, and I am holding you responsible for your promises. You didn't inspire the masses by running on a platform of "Um, I think we can." It was "Yes, we can." And still, I believe we can dust off "Yes We Can." We need more change, more reform and a more humane and responsible government. I know it's tough to be tough against the tide of partisan politics, where often party lines are more important than the issues. But you need to stand up and do something. I really fear for the direction of the country with the rise of the Tea Party and the Republican-majority House of Representatives.

I still support you. I still think you have a real chance to leave a legacy of hope and humanity in office. But, you need to get tougher. You need to show politicians on both sides of the aisle that you were elected by the people, especially the young people, and your duty is to make sure that they are heard. So, please, don't step down, and earn that Oval Office in the eyes of the American public and the history books. We need you to lead us through these tough economic times, while maintaining the integrity of the nation for the people, for all of the people.

Thank you Mr. President.

Sincerely,
Kelsey Gross

No comments:

Post a Comment